Please answer one of the following questions using direct evidence from the text. You may choose to move beyond the questions and make connections to previous chapters as well as make predictions. NO repeats. Be precise. Be brilliant.
BOOK 2, CHAPTER 16
1. What information does Defarge get from Jacques on the police force? Where have you heard of this man before?
2. Why is Defarge depressed, and how does Madame Defarge comfort him?
3. What is the significance of Madame Defarge pinning a rose in her hair?
4. What does the spy learn from the Defarges, and what do they learn from him? Why does the spy’s information disturb
BOOK 2, CHAPTER 17
5. What are the Doctor’s feelings about Lucie’s impending marriage?
BOOK 2, CHAPTER 18
6. What does Charles Darnay tell the Doctor on the morning of his marriage to Lucie?
7. What is the Doctor’s response to the combination of this information and the giving of his daughter in marriage?
8. What two things does Mr. Lorry do in reaction to the Doctor’s condition?
BOOK 2, CHAPTER 19
9. How does Mr. Lorry go about approaching the Doctor about his condition for the nine days without upsetting him?
10. What is the Doctor’s opinion about the future of Mr. Lorry’s “hypothetical” man?
11. What does the Doctor say is the one thing that could bring on another relapse? What does he mean by this?
12. What recommendation does Mr. Lorry make to the Doctor, and how does he talk him into following it?
BOOK 2, CHAPTER 20
13. What request does Carton make of Charles?
14. What does Lucie request of Charles?